Reed Mariculture

Thread: Too many tangs?

Default Too many tangs?

I have a question about how many tangs I should put in my tank. If you have read my calcium reactor thread you know that I have added some new fish to my tank recently. I am looking to add some additional fish and would like to see what people think. There is no right or wrong answer and everyone's opinion is appreciated.

I should probably begin with a current list of what is in the tank: 4"purple tang, six line wrasse, four blue green chromis, 3" two spot bristletooth tang, starry blenny and a diamond goby. I also have a solar fairy wrasse that is in quarantine.

I am planning to add a 3 1/2" powder blue tang that is currently being held for me at a LFS. I also have the option to purchase a blonde naso tang, or a clown tang, that are both about 3 1/2" in size. I have no intention to purchase the clown tang at this point. I think they are too aggressive and need a tank that is too large for my plans. However, I plan to get the powder blue tang as long as it does not have any obvious issues. I am aware of their reputation for being an ich "magnet" and will quarantine it before it goes into my tank. I know that it is not always a good idea to keep multiple tangs together, but I think the fact that none are over 4" will help.

I know that the purple tang I have, as well as the powder blue, can potentially live in my current tank without outgrowing it. However, a naso is definitely on the edge of being too large for my tank, when it is grown. Has anyone kept any combination of these fish together? What kind of temperament does the naso tang have in your experience?

So my options are as follows:
    1. Get the powder blue and forget the naso.
    2. Get the powder blue and the naso.

Which option do you like? Do you not like either option? What are your opinions? Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by ichthus; 02-06-2018 at 04:07:17 PM.
    Jeff

You already have 10 fish in a 150, I have 3 yellow tangs a Dory, Sailfin, one large green chromis and a bicolor blenny in a 220. When the tangs grow your tank will be too small for them. even mine is too small. They have since grown with each other and know their place. I would not add any more tangs if it were me.

I have three tangs in my 90 and that’s probably it for me... a yellow, a powder blue and a yellow-eyed Kole. I had a blond Naso that got too big for my 90, which I had to capture and trade to a wamas member a few years ago. That experience sucked, since I loved that fish. He was so beautiful and such a great fish, he was my favorite, but my tank was just too small. It probably is still too small for what I have. Keep in mind also that if you do add another one, there will likely be aggression issues.

I second Ben. I have a Vlamingi tang, Red Sea Sailfin, Blue Hippo and Purple Tang. My Vlamingi tang is already almost a foot long. I have a 220 and am in the search for a 400 - 600 gallon as I know my fish are going to outgrow the tank. When they are overcrowded they tend to stress out more and are more prone to diseases other than just ich and start with territorial issues. I have had all my fish for about six years. With that being said, the Naso tang is going to get HUGE. You can get buy with the tangs you have as they take a little longer to reach full size but the Naso tang gets large rather quickly.
    220 gallon reef

Forget the Naso...

Judging from most recommendations your tank size is not appropriate for a Naso. Everything I've read has said the min tank size for a Naso is 240. I've seem them in the wild and large captivity tanks and they get huge!

I thought that the naso would probably be too large to stay in my tank for its entire lifespan. However, I thought I would ask the question. I was curious how long it would take for a 4" naso to outgrow my tank before I would have to upgrade. After some additional research, I think that one of these would ultimately need a tank larger than I could currently put in my house. Also, after talking to the LFS, I decided against that particular fish, for multiple reasons. They said that it is not eating and has a red area on its lip. I appreciate their honesty about its condition.

However, they say the powder blue is eating and looks healthy. I am leaving it with them until next week to see if it shows any signs of disease. Even if it looks good I still plan to quarantine it before it goes in my tank. I have waited to introduce it last, hoping that it will not be too aggressive. Thanks for all of the input.
    Jeff

Personally, I would advise against the powder blue as well unless you have a 6' tank. They really need a lot of room to swim. I have two in my tank which is 10' long and they play cat and mouse with each other from 1 side to the other all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by rivahodges View Post
    Personally, I would advise against the powder blue as well unless you have a 6' tank. They really need a lot of room to swim. I have two in my tank which is 10' long and they play cat and mouse with each other from 1 side to the other all day long.
    It is a 6' long tank. The rocks are arranged into three separate islands, so there is plenty of open swimming area in the tank.
    Jeff

The other concern is that you are adding another blue colored tang - this can lend itself to territorial battles and goven the propensity of blue and hippos getting ich you may start an infestation.

Also - although ive pulled off 3 tangs in my 220 two is max - id be careful
    155 gallon reef